Sunday, January 25

NOTES FROM THE ALL*STAR GAME.

I figure doing this is the only way I'm going to pay an inkling of true attention to the ASG. Plus, there's really nothing else on TV, and if I don't do this, I'll probably fall asleep due to the Sudafed and Excedrin running through my veins.

Honestly, though, why am I bothering? We all know it's going to be ridiculously high scoring, with not excitement because there won't be any hits, and I'm 99.999% sure there won't be any penalties. What does that spell? Boring.

All I can hope is that maybe someone will do something funny. (I'm hoping he does, Frostee. For your sake and mine.)

Here goes. (All I reallt want is Vanek to do well, by the way.)

Pre-Game

- Acrobats? Really? And one playing the violin? Okay, that's sick. But... What does it have to do with hockey?

- I just love the cheers for Lecavalier. I love him playing for Tampa, because that means I can see him play for virtually nothing when I go visit my grandmother, but it would be awesome to see him play for a great team like Montreal.

- On a side note, I'm super stoked that my migraine decided to go away.

- Another side note: I think the NHL needs to copy the AHL in a way when it comes to the skills competition. I think it's cool that the teams go up against each other, and that the players still get rewarded individually.


First Period

- MARC SAVARD IS MIC'ED UP AGAIN!! WOOHOO!! Listening to the Versus idiots is totally worth it if one or more of the guys are commentating.

- 1-0 West. Keith Tkachuk. I still refuse to like him since he hurt Connolly. No, I don't hold grudges or anything. I'm not your stereotypical redhead. Nope. Not me.

- Savvy just described himself as "stiff." Hmmmm. How about we keep it PG, okay Marc? Can you handle that?

- Just a thought: How many people think that Derek Roy could have been voted in had he rushed out of the gates, playing like he is now back in October? I'd love to see him on a line with some of these guys...

- Okay, I just have to put this out there, but I hate, hate, HATE that the Montreal fans do the "Ole" chant. THE OLE CHANT IS FOR SOCCER/FOOTBALL, depending on where you are from. NOT HOCKEY. And yes, I'll admit, I did it at the Bandits' game last week, but that's different.

- 1-1. Yeah, Alex!! I love a good give-and-go.

- I always feel bad for the goalies in the ASG. Yeah, it's cool that they got in and all, but damn are they going to get chased. That's why I was so proud of Miller last year, when he allowed only 3 of the East's 12 goals against.

- 2-1 East. Eric Staal puts the East ahead on a nifty little play with some neat passing.

- Is it wrong of me to cheer for the West?? I mean, they've got Campbell, Kane, and Toews. I adore them.

- Is Eddie Olchek going to get suspended from Versus because he's "a little banged up" and skipping the ASG? I still think it's ridiculous that the NHL is benching Lidstrom and Datsyuk because they've opted not to play.

- During any other game, I would absolutely despise the on-the-bench interviews, but during the ASG? Anything goes, I suppose.

- Okay, I really, really wish the Sabres could mic guys up during games regularly. It's pretty awesome. I used to go to Amerks games a lot and sit right behind the bench. Let me tell ya, I've never heard words strung together like that before... Quite the experience!

- A 4-on-1. You'll never, ever see that in a true NHL game, because as Savvy said, the coach "would hang us all."

- 3-1 East Alex Kovalev with a beautiful fake on a breakaway. And, of course, a wonderful reception from the Montreal fans.

- I have to say, this weekend has kinda won me over for Malkin. Seeing his performance in the accuracy competition last night and the little move he just pulled... I kinda like his style. Kudos to you, man, and I apologize for the trash-talking I've done in your direction.

- Honda is the official vehicle of the NHL?? WHAT? Since when? I do want a Civic Hybrid, though, but only if they'd come in coupes...

- They're interviewing Sidney. As much as I don't like him, he should be playing, and it is unfortunate that he's hurt, because he is a truly gifted player.

- To be honest, I find it pretty difficult to get into

- 4-1 East. Savvy gets an assist on Markov's goal!! As does Ovie. Nice little set up, too. I wish the Sabres' passes could be that quick and crisp.

- 4-2 East. Marleau cuts the deficit in half right before the intermission.

- NO!! SAVVY, YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME!! WTF is this shit? Seriously, though, if Versus doesn't have someone else mic'ed up in the second, I'm switching over to CBC. The Canadians call hockey INFINITELY better than Americans. Exhibit A: Rick Jeanneret.


First Intermission

- I love how all the guys are running around and getting each other's autographs. So cute.

- NELSON MANDELLA!! Oh, he takes me back to global studies, sophomore year in high school with Mrs. Reidell (Anne, you know who I'm talking about, right??). We had to sing "Free Nelson Mandella." Oh, good times. You had to be there, I guess.

- Aw, Mrs. Kennedy is too cute, too. idk, maybe it's just the nursing home employee in me, but I love it when the old ladies rock the animal prints and velour sweat suits.

- Well, it's obvious that the Staal boys take after their mother, blonde hair and pale skin. Whatever. At least Eric and Jordan are good-looking.

- Ovie says he'll hit someone if he gets the chance. Um, yeah, probably not the smartest thing to do in the ASG.


Second Period

- Martin St. Louis is mic'ed up. =] He's very quiet, though...

- He says he's impressed by Zach Parise's play. I'm impressed that Drew Stafford has such good-looking friends.

- 5-2 East. Good thing Marty said "gotta go boys," because he scored on a yummy backhand. Did I really just describe a goal as "yummy?"

- 6-2 East. I think Vs should keep St. Louis mic'ed up if it means that Parise is going to keep notching the points.

- 6-3 East Nice, quick release from Souray again cuts the West's deficit in half.

- Random thought: I stand by the notion that soup is the best thing to eat while one is sick. Delicious.

- I just now noticed Vanek on the ice for the first time. Some fan I am, eh?

- 6-4 East. Shane Doan beautifully sets up Dan Boyle. And I should mention that Brian Campbell assisted on that.

- Seriously? Who gets their nose broken five times, and then their jaw broken? Talk about a tough guy...

- I love these drinkability Bud Light commercials... =]

- 7-4 East. Like I said, Malkin really is winning me over. "The Malkin Special..." Haha.

- Cary Price was just on the phone with his mama. Adorable.

- 7-5 East. Rick Nash goes top shelf. I must say, thus far, this is one of the closest ASG's I can remember.

- 7-6 East. Hejduk puts it up high, as well, the pull the West within one. Another thing of beauty. That's what I love about this game; you get to see all of these ridiculously incredible goals that you'd never see elsewhere.

- 7-7. Souray ties it up. Again, the passing tonight is continually blowing my mind. It's perfection, just like Mike Ryan's eyebrows, right MJ??

- Random thought: I'm writing a ton more on this liveblog than I've ever written on a Sabres liveblog. There's something wrong with that, right?

- One of the commentators just said that Montreal's fans are in a bad mood all summer if the Canadiens miss the playoffs. Um, excuse me, but isn't any truly dedicated hockey fan upset if their team misses the playoffs? I mean, I for one am absolutely miserable whenever someone mentions the Sabres in the off-season even if we do make the playoffs. Then again, that's just me, little ol' maniacal me.

- 8-7 East. Beautifully executed breakaway by Kovalev, beginning on his end of the neutral zone. You don't see that every day. Absolutely incredible.

- Kovalev missed the perfect opportunity for a hat trick by cranking one off the post. Oh well. Not that he won't have many more chances, or anything.

- I love the Sports Soup commercials. What's more is my adoration of Sports Soup itself. I never thought I'd have that sort of appreciation for a show other than Talk Soup or Late Night with Conan O'Brien. (I told you I have a thing for redheads. Don't judge me. Don't you dare.)

- I think we need to get Vanek some new linemates. He needs to put some points up.

- 8-8. I told you that this was the closest ASG I can remember. The proof is in the pudding, my friends.

- Tommy tried a nice little move, attempting to go "right through the kitchen, there." Um, what? Yeah, I don't know either. I'm still proud of him for his performance last night.

- Patty K got robbed. (Wow, I feel like I'm talking about Kaleta. That makes me sad. I want him back.)

- St. Louis couldn't wait to get that earpiece out, I guess, seeing as he was struggling to get free of it before the Vs guys even bid their adieus.


Second Intermission

- Aw, Tim Thomas is a mama's boy!! You can't hold that against him, though, as his mother is a cancer survivor.

- They suggested that Luongo wear body armor. Yeah.


Third Period

- 9-8 West. Shane Doan is feeding off of the fun he had last night.

- 9-9. Heatley ties it up. Another thing of beauty with a guy camped out at the top of the crease. Not something I'll get used to.

- Seriously? Who schedules hockey games on Super Bowl Sunday? Are you stupid? Even if it is a matinee game... Sheesh.

- 10-9 West. YAYYY BOYTOY TOEWS!! That's what I've been waiting for!

- Haha, the fans are chanting "Thomas." The goalie chant gets old, though, because it usually backfires, unless you're chanting "Miller," at which point, who the hell knows what will happen?

- I have to admit, the commercial with Ovie, Chara, and Savvy was very cute.

- Aww, PKane. So modest. Typical Buffalonian.

- Uhm, Joe Thornton so obviously does not know how to discreetly look at the Teleprompter. Shame.

- 10-10. Marty St. Louis ties it up, finally getting one past Roberto, for his second of the night.

- Shots are 46-41, with the West leading. That's incredible, if you forget how many goals have been scored.

- I'm a tad bit disappointed that no player is mic'ed up this period, but I'm too lazy to get up, get the controller, and change the channel.

- Ovie has to be kidding me. You can't seriously be looking for a penalty in the ASG. Come on now, boy.

- 11-10 West. PKANE!! Yeah boy! Way to get it done. So all three of the ChiTown boys have gotten on the board in at least one column; now I'm just waiting on Vanek to get some.

- 11-11. Wow. This game isn't back and forth at all, or anything. JBo! Can we get him? Please? Just make a nice little package of Max, some other dead weight, a draft pick, and a bag of pucks and tape, and I think that should suffice, don't you?

- How awesome would it be if this game went to a shootout like the ASG did a few years ago?


Overtime

- Interesting factoid: The ASG in Buffalo back in '78 was the first to go to OT, and Gil Perreault ended it.

- This is probably one of the most intense extra five minutes I've ever watched. Amazing saves. Unbelievable.

- Oh, you've got to be kidding me!! Why would you call a penalty now? The first penalty in the All-Star Game since 2000, and you're going to call it in overtime? Get outta here. West PP.

- Beautiful PK by the East. Textbook play, and it couldn't be better.


Shootout

- First of all, did I call it, or what??

- Isn't it fitting to put Shane Doan in the shootout? Taking notes Wayne?

- Oh, there's the garden gnome. (AKA Gary Bettman.)

- Round 1: Lecavalier? Unsuccessful. Doan? Saved.

- Round 2: Kovalev? Scores! Nash? Missed. 1-0 East.

- Round 3: Ovechkin? It's good! 2-0 East.


Final: 12-11 East.


Not too shabby!! A bit lot too high-scoring for me, but whatever. It was entertaining... Kind of.

I just wish Vanek had put up some points, and hadn't finished in a tie for the worst +/- in the game (-3) along with linemates

And Bettman is getting booed. I love it.

Kovalev gets the MVP. Deserved, seeing as he had 2 goals and an assist, as well as the game winner in the shootout.


Well, I assume I'll be back tomorrow, hopefully with something interesting. If not, I'll definitely post Tuesday afternoon after school. No more early morning posts for me. At least, not on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, seeing as I have to be at school for an 8 am class. Yuck.

Time for Sports Soup. xoxo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would you call a penalty now?
I honestly think the referee called the penalty and then was like, "Oh, shit, it's an All Star Game. I'm not supposed to be calling these."

polo ralph lauren outlet said...

I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this web site. I am hoping the same high-grade web site post from you in the upcoming as well. Actually your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own site now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a good example of it.