Sunday, October 19

I'm a bit behind, I know...


Okay, so I got a little bit caught up in shopping, being girly, eating at Chef's, watching lots of hockey, and also Slap Shot, so I haven't posted in the past 48 hours like I said that I would.  So here goes a small recap of this weekend's activities and findings:


Vancouver @ Buffalo, Friday 10.17.08

First off, Kim and I had spectacular seats!  (We were in the 19th row, dead center behind the net where we shot twice.)  I'm proud to say that I took her to her first Sabres game in the HSBC Arena outside of the 300 level.  Awwww.

The game was fantastic.  Kotalik's 2 goals, power play keeping it hot, penalty kill still perfect, Kaleta causing a raucous, Vanek sort of tackling Kotalik, and Derek Roy's playlist...  What more could I ask for?  Not much.  And God forbid I forget to mention that I got to see two of my Western Conference Loves, Taylor "Bedroom Eyes" Pyatt (thanks, Grandma!) and Steve "Big Bear" Bernier.  Love!  And Steve got a goal...  Not sure how I feel about that, but I guess it's okay since his goal was pretty much nebulous.


Buffalo @ Atlanta, Saturday 10.18.08

Definitely not overly pleased with this game.  Roy's performance was far from perfect, yet again, and the effort from the entire team for an entire 60 minutes wasn't there.  Something new and different!  But really, though, we're lucky to have come away from that with a point in hand.  Lalime was awesome; I can't fault him at all.  And yet again, our special teams were outstanding!  Vanek, too, was fabulous, continuing his hot ways; he's now on pace for 114.8 goals, and 147.6 points for the season.  Roy?  Not nearly as good; 0 goals and 32.8 points.  Kind of lack-luster numbers for the defending scoring champion...

Does anybody else think it's a bit coincidental that our streak came to a screeching halt against the Thrashers last night, when our 10-game winning streak was ended by the same team in 2006-07??  Anybody?  Because I do.

And I have to say that I paid extra special attention to the crowd in Atlanta, because I have family there.  Two of my favorite cousins live there with their husbands and children, as do my aunt and uncle.  Funny thing is, though, my cousin Jen's husband is from Connecticut, but he's a huge Sabres fan.  One day, two years ago, he surprised my uncle with a Sabres jersey and tickets to one of their games there.  So I was hoping that I'd see them in their Sabres jerseys, but since Jen was supposed to have a baby last week (I don't know if she had the baby, yet...  I should get on that.), I didn't totally expect them to be there.


10 Questions

I have to say, I LOVE PATRICK KALETA MORE THAN DEREK ROY...  For a moment, at least.  When posed the question "Mary Ann or Ginger?", Pat chose the redhead!  Now I'm forever endeared to him.  Everyone else (Derek, Miller, Lalime, and Mair) chose Mary Ann.  I don't have anything against Mary Ann, or blondes in general, for that matter, but when a really cute hockey player says he likes redheads, I love him.  Pretty much the same thing as when I started liking Brian Campbell because he had curly red hair.  Redheads are not that common, so we have to band together when we get the opportunity.  =]

Anyone know when that's supposed/going to be posted online?  Because I'm dying to see it.


hockeysockpuppettheatre, by Charlie Teljeur

Speaking of Brian Campbell, he was the focus of this cute little comic strip, run regularly in The Hockey News.  This is the banter between Soupy and, I presume, an interviewer:

Guy:  Brian Campbell, you signed for mega-bucks over the summer.  I suppose money can really change a young guy's life...
Brian:  For some, maybe.  I'm still the same old guy, putting on one skate at a time...
Guy:  ...and those would be rabbit fur-lined skates...
Brian:  Chinchilla, actually.

Oh, Brian.  You're so fancy.


Jersey Hound

Also in this week's issue of THN, was a small feature on the Sabres' new third jersey.  This piece runs weekly, as well, but focuses on different jerseys in hockey, throughout history, throughout the world, in any league, anywhere.  This is what Ryan Kennedy writes:

"Sometimes justice does come for those who need it most.  In this case, fans of the Buffalo Sabres can once again wear a current sweater of which they can be proud of both the design and the team it represents.  The much-maligned 'Buffa-slug' is still the primary symbol of Western New York's finest, but the Sabres have blessed the hockey world with a reworking of their classic sweater, which will now serve as the team's third jersey.  The blue is darker than the original and the graphics are more defined, but oh, how it feels so right again."

I DO NOT WANT TO WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER FOR MY JERSEY!!!!  Can I please tell you all how much I want my new jersey?  I ordered a Roy jersey for myself, and a blank for my friend who is stuck in NYC until January--order numbers 155 and 156--but they won't be in at the Sabres Store until at least Thanksgiving.  I WANT MY NEW JERSEY!!!  Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind the slug too much, and I still love Tim Connolly, but I'd rather wear the jersey of someone who can actually play, and doesn't just sit in the press box, night-in, night-out.  I guess I'll have to wait...  But did I mention I'm not the most patient of people?  In fact, I'm downright impatient...


Portland Pirates

Nathan Gerbe had two goals to lead the Pirates to a 3-2 victory Friday night against the Springfield Falcons.  Colton Fretter also scored in the win.  The guys are playing again tonight in Portland against the Providence Bruins.

Speaking of the Pirates, the Sabres Store is now carrying a few pieces of Portland merch.  They have some blank jerseys, a hat, and player jersey t's, featuring Nathan Gerbe, Tim Kennedy, and Mike Weber.  I would've bought one (or two, or three) if they had one for Mancari, Funk, and/or Card...

And their game is going to be shown on the internet today (as they all are), so since I can only listen to the Bills and their power outage, I'm planning on watching them.


I'll post again tomorrow, as I'm sure I can find something to write about.

7 comments:

Caroline said...

Pat chose the redhead!
Are you a redhead, Cari? ;)

Cari said...

Are you a redhead, Cari? ;)

Did I make it that obvious?
Oh... Wait... That was the point!! =]
I love my red hair...

lakebnd79 said...

Hey, I was excited to see that you sat behind the goal. I was thinking of bidding on tickets in that section but didn't know how the view was. My usual seats are 13 rows up from center ice behind the penalty box and I think its nice to move around and see different views (although I always still love coming back to my seats!) My bigger problem is finding someone to go with!
And by the way, you two are a great addition to the bloggers! I love reading your blogs. They are always funny and upbeat! Maria Genero(sp) has got nothing on the two of you!

Caroline said...

I love my red hair...
There you go, embrace it! You're a rare breed...

Cari said...

I was thinking of bidding on tickets in that section but didn't know how the view was.

DO IT. The view is amazing. I've sat all around the arena, and I think this is one of my favorite spots. The only time the view gets iffy is down near the opposite net if there's a crowd, and you can't see the puck if it comes down into the end where you're sitting, but you can still see the players. And the netting is basically unnoticeable unless you're looking into the crowd at the other end.

Maria Genero(sp) has got nothing on the two of you!

WHY, THANK YOU!! I think I should take her job from her... Shit, I might actually be able to talk to Derek Roy then...

Cari said...

You're a rare breed.

My friend Andy always likes to tell me that he read somewhere that redheads will be gone in (I believe he said) 2 generations, because it's such a recessive trait. That's why Kim and I call Campbell my Baby Daddy, because then we can put some more redheads on the Earth.

Jill said...

I wish they would post that dern video!