Wednesday, October 8

The New Captain

INTRODUCING THE NEW CAPTAIN OF THE BUFFALO SABRES:
CRAIG RIVET

This is quite the surprising choice, I don't think anyone expected him, a newcomer, to be named captain. But actually in my opinion I think it is a good choice, he's got a lot of experience, he's one of the older guys on the team and he was an alternate captain in San Jose. I know most people will probably be unhappy with the choice and probably would have preferred the captaincy to go to someone who had been with the team longer but hey at least it's not rotating captaincy. I think I speak for Cari and I that nothing drove us crazier than trying to remember who was captain in a certain month. Read all about Lindy's choice here.

The alternatives and these come as no surprise are Jochen Hecht, Jaroslav Spacek, Jason Pominville and Teppo Numminen, according to Lindy Ruff two will wear the A's on the road and two will wear the A's at home. Sort of like the cocaptaincy with Drury and Briere one was captain at home and one was captain on the road.

I think having one captain is the best for everyone they now can look to one person for guidance and will be able to focus more on the game than worrying about who was going to wear the C the next month. I'm happy for Craig Rivet and I'm sure he will bring some much needed wisdom and experience to a relatively young team.

Well now we can get back to worrying about the season opener which by the way is in approximately 48 HOURS!!!!!

5 comments:

Mary said...

I definitely like this choice, even though I was a little suprised too.
But I really love that there is no more rotating C. I was not a fan of that, at all.

But yay for a new captain and for the season opener on FRIDAY!!! It deserves all the caps and exclamation points.

Jill said...

Thanks for the news! I am glad for 1 no rotation! and 2 Rivet is super bad ass!

Cari said...

I love Craig Rivet, I'll admit it, but I WANTED POMMMMERRRRR.

I'm going to go cry now.

Jay said...

I was looking for Pommer to be named captain also. This morning I had a feeling that we would be surprised by the choice. I think that Rivet is a natural choice. I love the (NEEDED) toughness he brings to our blue line. Miller hasn't had anyone to really stand up for him since McKee left.

Shelby said...

I was completely surprised to see this news once I got home from school, but listening to Rivet's and Lindy's interviews, I'm happy and excited for him. He knows what his responsibility is now, and he's ready to take care of it. That really says something about him if most of the players gave him the vote for being a permanent captain.

I'm also happy with the alternative captains choices!